Sunday, November 16, 2008

Shells

I started this drawing on 8x8 Gessoboard. The ground is made with Golden Acrylic Ground for Pastel and Golden Gold Irridescent Acrylic paint. I got ideas and learned how to make different grounds from a pastel workshop I took with Susan Ogilvie. The thing about colored pencil, is that it doesn't often go on as well as the pastel over some of these very coarse grounds. The pencil flakes all over my drawing table and .... boy ... do these grounds eat up the pencils quickly! On the bright side, I really like the "painterly" approach of working on the coarse ground and the fact that I can't get overly detailed with each little shell. Its helping me loosen up a bit! 

4 comments:

Chantell Van Erbe said...

I like what I'm seeing, Kendra. The piece does look very painterly thus far. Keep going...you just have to get the feel of the ground. Your artistic intuition will kick in and you'll have this surface mastered in no time.

Kelley Carey MacDonald said...

I just love to listen to you talk about your process. The colored pencil paintings seem to evolve out of nowhere - like magic! I love the repeating shapes in the shells, too.

Kendra said...

Thanks! I like the repeating shapes in the shells too. I think I'm inspired to do an ocean/beach series of works. Although I need to get more imaginative like you, Chantell!

Chantell Van Erbe said...

Go for it, Kendra!!!