Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The next wave

This is the next wave that I have started. Its cradled gessoboard again, this time 16x20". The Colourfix ground is Terra Cotta with White and Burgundy mixed in so that its not so orange-y. I'm working from the top downward because the pencil flakes off so easily, I don't want to wear it off with my arm on the paper. I took this photo at night and I'm noticing the colors are a little bit off, especially the sky.

What attracted me was the large wave in the center and all the colors it contains: greens, purples, blues, grays. The ocean behind is a turquoise/gray. Each time I go to the beach, the colors of the sky and ocean are different. This time of year, everything can be gray but I'm finding such beautiful shades of gray and colors in the grays.

3 comments:

Debbi said...

Wow - I love this stage! So evocative and beautiful.

Kathy said...

Ditto! This is beautiful. I love that center wave even in this early stage. The colors are gorgeous.

Chantell Van Erbe said...

I love that you chose an extremely warm colored ground as a base, Kendra. This piece is really going to have some profound undertones. Can't wait to see what you can do with this painting.