Saturday, July 3, 2010
After 2 months of working on this portrait, she is finished. I can't tell you how many hours I have put into this because its been a learning experience for me and I really enjoyed it. I would stand the piece in my house so that I could walk by, look at it and think of what I needed to change. The most difficult part was capturing the dark values in her face while keeping the subtle flesh tones. I used a lot of black in her hair and dark values of Tuscan Red, Indigo, Sienna Brown and LF105 Cobalt Turquoise on the left side of her face to create the dark values of her face turned away from the light. The other challenge I found was the flower was competing with her face and I wanted her face to be the focal point. After putting all the colors and values in the flower, I had to readjust her face. It was amazing how pale the values in her skin became. Now I'm excited about working on portraits and I'm looking for another great subject to practice on!