Sunday, September 11, 2011

Impressions Printmaking Portfolio


Over the past year I have been taking a solar plate printmaking class at the Providence Art Club and was asked to participate in a portfolio project to raise funds to purchase equipment for the art club's studio spaces. Twenty-two artists participated and in the words of the Providence Art Club; "the work showcases various printmaking techniques, from traditional processes to new 21st century technology." Above is our postcard invitation to the exhibit.
Each of the twenty-two artists produced 35 prints, one for each portfolio, shown above presented in a red clam-shell box. Each artist chose his or her own design and method of printing and we all worked on them in the print studio, most under an instructor's guidance. Each of our prints have been created exclusively for the portfolio project.

Each participating artist will receive a portfolio to keep and the remaining 13 portfolios will be sold to raise the funds. We have already sold 6 with only 7 portfolios remaining.

This is my print which is a solar plate etching with chiné collé onto a Tamarind rice paper with leaves and grasses from Thailand. I titled it "A Floating World". Printing this particular piece was quite a process which required a template (for positioning) because I chose to print my etching plate, printing paper and chiné collé paper all in one step. I had to cut and pre-glue the rice paper, soak printing paper, ink plate then lay each component on my template on the press, dampen with more water and run through the press. It was a lot of work and at times I was grumbling because I had many mistakes but all in all I'm happy about what I have accomplished and excited to be part of the portfolio.

I was a printmaking major in college ... believe it or not ... and never really ever did anything with it post graduation. Let me explain what draws me back to printmaking now. Other than the fact that my instructor is fabulous and I enjoy the camaraderie of other artists at the art club, I can create drawings to be made into prints. All of my prints thus far have been from pencil drawings I have created. I also enjoy printmaking because it is a hands-on type of art. Rather than just drawing, I can have fun trying different papers, different materials and various techniques. I like the physical work of inking plates, cutting paper and running the press. It gives variety to creating my artwork.


The exhibit opened today at the Providence Art Club. We framed one of each artist's print in the portfolio and we also able to submit a second print of our choice for the exhibit. The two above photos are of some of the prints displayed. This may also lead into being a traveling exhibit.


2 comments:

Kathy said...

Love your print! Must be interesting to break from your colored pencils for a while to do something different. Looks like a very exciting process. Congratulations on being part of the show!

Teresa Mallen said...

Wow, where to start...a very interesting post. So you studied print making, how fabulous, I would love to have the time to explore this. Your print looks wonderful and so do the others in the portfolio. The red clam shell box is absolutely delicious. What a wonderful way to present the prints! Personally, I am very fond of the look prints have so I have really enjoyed seeing what your Club is doing. I look forward to seeing more of your prints in future.