Friday, March 2, 2012

Exciting News, Colored Pencil Recognition!

As I mentioned previously, the Rhode Island Blood Center asked me to be their artist of the year for the Seasons Pass Program 2011/2012. The Seasons Pass Program is in its 10th year and each year a different artist is selected and asked to create a unique piece of art for the Blood Center. This piece of artwork is made into prints and prints are given to 4-time per year blood donors. I was introduced as the new artist last year at the press conference and yesterday at the press conference, my artwork was unveiled. I chose to create a scene of colorful sailboats for this year's print. It is different than anything previous artists have done and fitting since the America's Cup trials as well as the Tall Ships are coming to Newport this year. Living so close to Newport and the ocean, I can relate to sailing. As a previous blood recipient myself, I am happy to be able to give back to the community and hope that receiving a print will entice new donors to donate blood. Here is the paragraph written to go along with the painting:

The strength of an America’s Cup flotilla is powerful as it sails to face unpredictable waters. So it is with blood donors. Collectively, they are saving lives for individuals they will likely never meet, providing them with the strength on what is often an unpredictable journey to regain their health, a journey that would not otherwise be possible.

Second item of news: I am thrilled to be featured on February 29th on a fun Rhode Island blog called I(heart)Rhody which is all about arts, food, events, news and photography throughout Rhode Island. They have published an interview with me as well as photos of my work.

Thirdly, I was also excited today when another artist called me and gave me some news that I missed. I have a piece in the Newport Art Museum Annual Juried Member Exhibition and this year every piece of artwork was accepted and hung floor -to-ceiling salon style. I've heard quite a bit of grumbling from other artists because their work was hung up near the high ceilings, they feel it cannot be appreciated. Somehow I got lucky and my piece "Sea Foam" is hung perfectly at eye level in fabulous light. What more can an artist ask for? Well, one of my artist friends called today and said congratulations, it seems that my piece is in a tie for second place having received many votes for the People's Choice Award. I completely missed my name as I read through the list of awards. Viewers can vote until May 14 so I may or may not stay in the running, but for now I'm excited especially since there are so many many works to choose from and I like seeing my name on the awards list!

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Congratulations, Kendra! Love the sailing artwork - what a great way to link the idea of giving blood - n o hearts involved! Great interview, too. Always nice to see colored pencil and its' artists receiving much deserved recognition. Yeah.

Richard Klekociuk said...

Great news, Kendra, and well deserved. Such recognition is made even more meritorious when one supports such a good cause.

Teresa Mallen said...

Yes exciting news indeed! Congratulations. The artwork is fabulous, so is the cause, and woo-hoo so are you - girlfriend that is a beautiful picture of yourself and your art (gorgeous blouse too). I am noticing that you always photograph well. Might be because you have such a wonderful smile! :-)

Kendra said...

Thank you! Teresa, you're the second person who told me the blouse looks good, guess I chose the correct color!!