Friday, February 1, 2013

Creating Handmade Books

 I just finished a bookmaking workshop and I'm totally hooked. I can't wait to find some time, get some materials and make a few more handmade books. We learned how to make the traditional book with the sewn bookbinding, shown above. My book has 44 blank pages which are made from heavy weight drawing paper and I haven't decided whether I will use this book as a journal, sketchbook, or to collage my drawings and prints.


 I chose a decorative blue with gold leaf design for the cover and a yellow/green and gold design for the  front and back inside covers. I also added a ribbon to the spine for decoration.

This photo is a bit out of order but here is my book wrapped in newsprint, in the antique book press. Have to get myself one of these cool looking presses.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks like fun. And so many possibilities for creative projects there!

Anne Winthrop Cordin said...

So cool, love the way yours turned out Kendra!

Gimo said...

Good work good idea.I will try it out.