Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Coffee and Tea


I did an colored pencil demo for Hope Gallery during the Bristol/Warren Art Night last week. I brought samples of my smaller works and did a demo of colored pencil and solvent on 6x8" cradled Ampersand Gessobord. My subject is the pair of red sneakers which are in front of me and I am also working from a photo of them. The lighting and the shadows in the photo are just the way I want them to be and that way I can keep the lighting consistent if I work in different locations. Approximately 80 visitors came to the gallery while I was there, many were friends or fellow artists and I really appreciated the wonderful turnout. I must also thank Krzysztof Matthews for taking this photo of me and give him the photo credit.



Here are three 6x6" image transfer and colored pencil drawings I have done on Utrecht wood panels. The question I am asked most is if I prepare the wood and the answer is no, I work directly on the wood. First I transfer my black and white image on the wood as I described in this post, and then I work right over it with colored pencil. I added backgrounds to the coffee cups and left the natural wood background behind the tea cup and pot showing. These three pieces are hanging at Angelina's coffee shop in Bristol, RI during the month of July along with several other works by myself and other CPSA members from New England; Debbi Friedman, Naomi Aho, Kathie Miranda, Kathy Clericuzio and Liz Patterson.

3 comments:

Anne Winthrop Cordin said...

Such a sweet series!And thanks for always sharing your process Kendra!

Unknown said...

That's a great process and technique that you've developed. It renders gorgeous results for you. It is evident that you've hit on an original way of making your own unique art that perfectly expresses your subjects. And I'm especially impressed with your willingness to share your discoveries with others. You are a trail blazer and an amazing artist!

Kendra said...

Thank you Anne and Thank you Katherine, that is so nice of you to say. I like to share what I've learned!