Tuesday, January 17, 2017

My Latest Pet Portrait


This is Brina, 8x10" in colored pencil on gray Fabriano paper. I worked Brina in Prismacolor, Lyra Rembrandt, Caran d'Arche Luminance and Derwent Artists colored pencils. The reason for all the different brands is because I like the different brown tones that I can't find in just one brand. I also like the variety of softness and hardness of the leads and just the feel of different pencils.

The piece is mounted on white gatorboard with double tack mounting film. I sprayed one good coat of Krylon UV Resistant Clear, then two coates of Krylon Kamar Varnish and about four coats of Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLS applied with a brush. I framed the piece without glass in this nice soft silver frame.

Brina is my brother's family dog who (unfortunately) recently passed away. This portrait was a Christmas gift for the family, a nice remembrance of the family pet.

No comments: