Thursday, July 2, 2009

Yellow Lily - Class Lesson

For my Tuesday colored pencil classes, I had everyone work on a small still life of a yellow lily from my garden in a small glass jar. I had them draw this on Terra Cotta Canford paper to experience drawing on a colored paper. The Canford paper is relatively smooth so it doesn't take a lot of pencil layers. We found the best way to apply color was to juxtapose, lay colors side by side. Rendering the soft yellows was also a challenge on the red paper, but at the end everyone had a nice drawing. I worked along with the class and here is my drawing.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Hi Kendra. This looks like a lot of fun. I've used the red Canson once for a foliage piece. I wanted to have the compliment of the greens as a background and I liked the results. In your piece it is giving an interesting quality to the glass. Nice work.