Saturday, October 24, 2020

A Book Sculpture Inspired by Autumn

I created this book sculpture from an old medical book that someone gave me. The pages are cut and made into a half flower vase glued onto the binding. I created the piece using decorative paper, an orange paste paper I had leftover and hand watercolored book pages. I watercolor the pages first before cutting and folding them into the flower and leaf shapes. 

I keep all kinds of scraps of paper and book pages for use in future creations, I have a big bin of all kinds of materials to use! The butterflies came from a butterfly book that I created awhile ago and kept the remainder of the pages. 

I really have fun with these book sculptures. This particular sculpture took me several days as I will cut and place shapes on the vase before gluing so I can view and contemplate if I want changes as I go. In between book sculptures I work on my colored pencil drawings. After sitting and drawing for several hours, I find it relaxing to cut and create something three dimensional! 







 

No comments: