Wednesday, October 1, 2008

More cherries ....

I drew this piece earlier in the year. Its colored pencil on the Ampersand Cradled Gessoboard with a layer of Colourfix Primer (Storm Blue) on the Gessoboard. Its been sitting in my studio and I've been looking at the cherries and wanting to make them brighter. So one day I picked up a paint brush and put out my oil paints and decided to experiment with putting oils over the colored pencil. Since I had a light layer of varnish on the colored pencil, the oil paint brushed on smooth. I was able to achieve some really bright reds, oranges and highlights on the cherries and am pleased with the result. Its kind of fun experimenting & combining the mediums. 

4 comments:

Kathy said...

Kendra, the cherries really pop! Beautiful job! I guess you never know until you try.

Debbi said...

Hi Kendra, Since you combined oils with CP, you can enter this in "Explore This!", right? You should.
I was reading the prospectus and it says it can't be ONLY colored pencil, am I correct?

Kendra said...

I have several pieces I could submit but I'll have to narrow it down to two. Debbi, I think the piece can be 100% colored pencil as long as you've experimented with something else such as a prepared background surface.

Debbi said...

Hmmm, that's interesting. But I still don't have anything that fits the bill. Which other pieces do you have to enter?