Friday, January 8, 2010

Tuscany Pastels Completed!





I have finally completed the five pastel pieces that I began in Tuscany last October. I can't believe it took me this long but I am really happy with the results and the struggle was worth it. Why was it a struggle? First of all my life has somehow become so busy with commitments that I just found a short block of time here and there. Secondly, I learned that trying to come home and work from photos when the originals were started in plein aire is so difficult. I think I mentioned before how the photos flatten and darken the images. When you are working from life, the scene is all around you and in 3D so to speak. Although, you are "chasing the light" and have to work quickly, its easier to see color and value. While I did make thumbnail sketches at the scene, I didn't make color notes in my sketchbook. Something I'll have to remember for next time. Now its a new year and onto the next project! Back to colored pencil ... for now!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Kendra, these are wonderful! I love how you have such a different touch with the pastel in comparison with your cp work. Nice work