Thursday, December 23, 2010

Candy Apples on Richeson Board

This is an interesting surface to work on. It eats the pencils like crazy and they flake off a little but I found I could really get some intense color with this surface. I could also layer light over dark and the dark would still show through underneath. Some of the areas are one color and others are several colors layered so I had the option. I also was able to use mineral spirits successfully on this board to dissolve the pencil for the background and foreground and achieve even layers of the white and grays.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! I'm going to have to try the Richeson board! Thanks for sharing your technique here. The shine that you've produced is simply amazing to me! Merry Christmas!

hbedrosian said...

Fantastic, Kendra! I love how the red peeks through in areas of this piece. Congratulations on your article, too!