Friday, February 3, 2012

Sailboat on Gessoed Board & Ann Kullberg's New Book




I found this 11x14" cradled gessoed board at our local Michael's Craft store and liked it because the sides were gessoed as well as the surface. I decided I could try to "wrap" my colored pencil drawing on all four edges as oil painters often do when painting canvases. I applied a layer of Art Spectrum Colourfix Primer to the surface of the gessoed board including all four edges with colored pencil and mineral spirits to dissolve the pencil in areas so it will apply as paint. For the sky and cloud area I often used my finger to blend the colored pencil and mineral spirits to create a smooth surface. After I completed my drawing on the surface, I continued the picture on the sides. This was a bit of a challenge because I had to hold the board sideways or in my lap to work on each edge. I kept the edges simple, just a continuation of the water, sky and landscape. I think it looks really cool and I'm going to hang it in the gallery today, I'm wondering what kind of a response it will receive. I like to listen to the viewers' comments.

I am also excited to be one of 70 artists selected for Ann Kullberg's new book "CP Treasures". You can view a preview of the book here. Click on "view partial image" and you can browse through the pages and see a small thumbnail of each of the illustrations. My piece "Splendor" is on page 53. The illustrations in the book are fabulous, drawn by some fabulous artists! I can't want to see the book when it's published.

4 comments:

Teresa Mallen said...

Beautiful piece Kendra. I especially like your sky - I am kind of partial to clouds these days. :-) The coloured sides look great and I am sure the viewers will have nothing but wonderful comments.

Richard Klekociuk said...

Impressive, Kendra. I am particularly taken with the presentation of this painting.

Kathy said...

Absolutely stunning, Kendra! I agree with Teresa - beautiful handling of the sky.

Nancy Goldman said...

I'm glad I found your blog. Your work is beautiful. I was surprised that this painting is colored pencil. I've never thought of colored pencil on a cradled board. It's wonderful.