Saturday, December 6, 2014

Oscar and Cooper Pet Portrait


This is the latest pet portrait I just finished for a woman in California who owns these two lovely cats, Oscar (left) and Cooper (right). I worked from a variety of individual photos she sent me of the cats to put them together in one 11x14" drawing (apparently these two aren't friends!). I could tell by her photos that Cooper likes to pose for the camera so he was easy to draw. I looked at several pictures of Oscar in order to get his face, body and coloring right. I drew this piece on Strathmore Artagain toned paper, in which I like the tones but the paper is very smooth and doesn't take enough layers of colored pencil. The piece is worked predominantly in Prismacolor pencil with a few Luminance added.

2 comments:

Sue Clinker said...

Lovely portrait ... not always easy to portray an animal from above but you've pulled it off. Love the background colour - works perfectly with the colouring of the cats.

Kendra said...

Thank you Sue. The background color makes it easier to get the cats' coloring!