Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Dunes and Clouds, Colored Pencil and NeoColor

Working on a 6x18" Cradled Gessobord, I have created this atmospheric beach dune and sky drawing. On the left, my sky is underpainted with NeoColors to which I added water, dissolved the crayon for a background wash. The foreground I laid in with colored pencil and dissolved with some mineral spirits instead of using the NeoColors. On the right, is my finished piece. I added colored pencil to the clouds and softened some of the darker blues. I also added some mineral spirits to the clouds to smooth them out and lose the texture of the board showing through. Then I added color to the grasses in the foreground with colored pencils and NeoColor crayons.

1 comment:

Teresa said...

And it's gorgeous! Has such a feeling of fresh, open air and freedom. Makes me want to pack a lunch and head for the beach :-)

Enjoyed reading about your technique. Your paintings are always beautiful.