Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Spotted Hyena Drawing


I've been working on this drawing of a spotted hyena, my reference photo is from our African Safari trip. As hyenas are scavengers, this hyena was sitting in the dirt and watching a lion with a wildebeest carcass. Just waiting for a chance to pick up the scraps. My reference photo is at the bottom of this post, I was intrigued by this messy looking animal with matted fur and decided to clean him up a bit. I wanted to capture textures of the fur and the determined look in his eyes.

Using Adobe PhotoShop and Lightroom, I was able to lighten his eyes and nose to see the details and distinctions. I chose to leave out the background and focus on the portrait of the hyena. The paper I chose is Fabriano Tiziano drawing paper. I usually don't work on a paper that is this textured but for this drawing I think the background color and the texture lend itself to the fur and features.


I used Prismacolor Premier, Caran d'Ache Luminance and a few Derwent and Faber Castell polychromos colored pencils. In this photo I have also included my color swatches on a scrap of the Fabriano Tiziano paper. I like to try out different colors before choosing which ones I will use. 

Please excuse the inconsistencies in my photos, they were taken with my iPhone but in different lighting during my process!



 

No comments: